Wednesday, July 8, 2009

another Day in Paris

I woke up this morning to the realization that I have already completed my first week here in Europe. So much has happened in a week (as had much money disappeared) but yet the experiences have been numerous and wonderful.

I am feeling like a local here on my little corner of Monmartre. Each night I go down to the cafe on the corner and I have got to know the owner. Each night I also meet others who are also travelling. We exhchange stories about where to go from stories of where we have been. Of course the rest of the Canadian group teases me that I talk to everyone...but then my response is "why not?!"...lol.

I have enjoyed Paris but I am not sure it would be on the top of my list to return to. It is an expensive city and I haven't been that impressed with the food (expensive and rather bland). Of course our morning coissants are wonderful. I have loved my bike tour (doing another on Thursday with the cruise of the Sien) and all of the neighborhoods are unique in themselves. Definately glad I came but I wouldn't feel the need to spend more time here. However, saying that, I could live here easily if I found the right neighborhood ( or arrondissements as they are called in Paris). My french is actually improving and I find that as long as you try to speak french the locals are very wonderful to you.

Today I have donned my runners and I am exploring the neighborhood on foot. It is a bit cooler and so I can actually get by without a dress on. I also have to figure out where I will go next. I am leaning toward Portugal as I think a bit of down time after the busyness of the last week would be nice. I will go check out if there are any night trains to that area. I really found the night train an easy way to travel and sleep and not loose your daytime hours. Apparently the Orient Express has a trip to Madrid so I will see if I can catch a lift...lol.

Well off for a wander and I will pop by the conference. The conference is winding down but each day I meet wonderful people from all over the world. Yesterday I talked non-stop at my poster for 3 hours even though we were only required to be their for 1 1/2. Tomorrow I have been invited to attend a round table discussion on Age-friendly cities (uugg though as it is at 7:30...ah well.

Till tomorrow... à revoir

No comments:

Post a Comment