Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lost in Spain

Just like the title says, Janet found herself lost in Spain. The information person at the train station told me to get on the train at platform 14 but alas that train went in the opposite direction to my connecting night train to Paris. Alas when the train finally stopped 1 hour later (even I knew i was on the wrong one 5 minutes after we departed in the opposit direction to which I had to go) i was in the middle of no where. However, as good fortune would happen, the station attendent spoke some English. He called the main station and found out that if I took another train I would end up in Ginova and my original train would be stopping their. I was immensely grateful as I had paid the supplement to have a berth to sleep in and I certainly did not want to be out the money.

all things end extremely well as I ended up at this little spanish bar at the train station that locals frequented. I felt I was in the heart of Mexico. But a nice spanish young man bought me a beer and we attempted to have a conversation (not easy when we spoke about the same amount in each others language). The bar maid was teasing him about trying to pick me up (I could get that) and then she pointed to me and said laughingly (voluptuous - with hand gesters to back this up...lol) We all laughted. all in all it was a wonderful little side trip.

I ended up sharing my sleeping compartments with some young people for Indianna University so it was nice to have some English conversation (they also agreed). Then this morning I caught a fast train to Amsterstam for the final four days of my trip.

I tell you, the northern Europeans know how to do first class. I had breakfast (a lovely aray of fruit, cheese, salmon, yougart, croissants, coffee and juice) followed by an even better lunch of grilled chicken, pate, bread, vino and coffee. It has to be the best train ride that I have had.

The only down side to the end of my trip is that my mastercard isn't working (I think I set it off by taking a cash advance and that is out of the ordinary for me - unfortunately, I haven't been able to contact them as their international number is not working...uuuuggg) and so I need to be careful with my cash. Unfortunately, you can't take money out of your saving in cash machines in most of europe. So the end of my trip is in this lovely hostel (well it is clean anyways) and I am in a co-ed dorm (well one more experience eh!) (oh right it is also in the red light district). But it does include breakfast and internet...lol.

Well I better be off to explore...will keep you posted.

Till later

jan :)

Ok...

1 comment:

  1. adventure, adventure... but it wouldn´t be you if everything would go smoothly from point a to b :-)

    have a nice time in amsterdam! I found it a lovely city and the people are so nice (although not so nice as the canadians but it´s really hard to beat them)

    ReplyDelete