Friday, July 17, 2009

Florence

Well I arrived in Florence mid day and met a nice man at the train station who gave me directions to his Mother's hotel. He wrote down his name and the price on the card and told me to give it to the reception. Of course I was wary but as it was in the centre of town I thought I would check it out. I had heard Florence could be expensive but it so far I have had pretty reasonable accomodation (2 star single rooms includin breakfast and with my own shower for not more that the price of a hostel). I feel safer leaving my backpack and exploring when I have my own room.

Anyway...I checked out some places and they were all about 10 Euro more than what this man offered me so I found the hotel and to my surprise it was a 3 star hotel. It is amazing. It is like a boutique hotel with four floor (each floor actually has a half floor as well) and winding staircases. It is furnished in antiques and has tile and dark wood thoughout. There are alsositting rooms scattered throughout the hotel fo the guests to enjoy and meet with each other. There is a pool room and an evening lounge bar and to top it off...A ROOF TOP PATIO AND BAR for relaxing and sunbathing. It stretches out a magnificant view of Florence. Well that was it...no museums for me...I headed for the lounge and sunbathed for the afternoon while reading my novel. After dinner on a patio cafe (one that caters to the hostel crowd so 8 eruo gets you a beer and an all you can eat buffet - fruit, pasta, barbeq zuccinni, tomatoes...and on and on) I returned to my roof top patio and enjoyed the gentle tuscany breeze. Heaven.

Of course there was the annoying owners sun who kept insisting that we should be together. I had to get out my Italian phrase book to try to find 50 ways to say "NO" He spoke no English at at!...The first few times being told you are beautiful in Italian is great...after that...just plain anoying. I kept pointing to his wedding ring and telling him "Go home to your wife!"...lol

After an amazing breakfast in the amazing dinning room (the hotel has an 1940's feeling of charm with a decor from the turn of the century (chaise lounges, candles and flowers everywhere) I stepped outside to discover that it was 45° at 10 am. I thought that there was no way I could be outside all day in that weather so I took the train to Pisa which is closer to the water so I figured cooler. It was amazing. It is so wonderful to discover the complete different way each city in Italy feels. I would definately come back to Italy.

So tomorrow I am off to the South of France. I am sure that this i the last time I will get such nice accomodation but what a wonderful exerience anyways.

Till later

j:)

No comments:

Post a Comment